Content of the Article:
- My first impression
- How to Video
- Some other points
Honeycode is a brand new fully-managed low-code/no-code service that gives you the power to build powerful mobile & web applications without writing any code. It is one step ahead of app building service where you don’t have to be skilled in programming.
My first impression about Honeycode
I registered to the portal and tried exploring the features and offering
In my first impressions what I understood that Honeycode has a spreadsheet-like interface with the data management capability of a database. Users can use their visual application builder to create interactive web and mobile applications. It is backed by an AWS-built database to perform tasks including tracking data over time, notifying users of changes, routing approvals, and facilitating interactive business processes, according to AWS. Don’t forget to watch the youtube video where I have given a demonstration to the Honeycode portal and its feature. This may not be very exciting for those developers who love to get their hand dirty in codes and thoroughly enjoy the process of SDLC (Software Development Life Cycle). But imagine some like infrastructure admin or network admin or a process manager who struggles every day to ease his work. Users from the non-coding background who try to manage their task excel sheet but struggle every day so that it becomes easy, automatable, and accessible within or outside his teams. I personally have mixed feelings about it and would like to see when amazon releases Honeycode in the full-fledged mode.
Is this first such offering in the market?
Amazon Honeycode is lightweight and no-code app development service, something amazon has entered into, however in the market Microsoft and Google have already similar offerings. Microsoft power apps and Google’s AppSheet is already there in market for quite a few time. Amazon says that they are excited about this feature as this will help accelerate the task and productivity with rapid speed. Microsoft and Google have Microsoft O365 and G-suite respectively tied productivity saas services to back the app development and Amazon has no such productivity offerings.
Don’t forget to watch the youtube video where I have given a demonstration to the Honeycode portal and its feature.
- Build Custome app without programming – Businesses are growing today with rocket speed however developing solutions/apps/softwares in order to meet rapid requirements is not so easy. Using Amazon honeycode solutions can be developed with rapid speed, manage business data from various sources.
- Access anywhere, update anytime – Since honeycode is a cloud based SaaS service , you can simply access it from anywhere and from any device. you can manage your apps using android and iOS appas well.
- Ready-Made Templates – Amazon Honeycode includes templates for some common applications that you and other members of your team can use right away. You just need to feed the database with the value and you are ready to go. Some of the ready-made templates are :
- Team Task Tracker
- Budget Approval
- Event Management
- Content Tracker
- Customer Tracker
- Demo Schedule
- Field Service Agent
- Inventory Manager
- Simple To-do
- Time off Reporting etc.
Apart from these ready to use templates, Honeycode comes with simple drag and drop features for designing and as easy as excel sheet to feed the database. Once the database is fed you can simply use connectors and event-based action to perform your task.
Amazon Honeycode is free to use for teams with up to 20 members and 2,500 rows per workbook. Upgrade to a paid plan when you need additional capacity. For more details please refer to the pricing page.
- Create Workspace
- Create your team(s) by adding members with their access level
Once you create the workbook either by in-built template or start from scratch feature, you have 3 main an simple features are required to have the app ready.
- Table – Table feature is found in the left pane of the workbook. It is a basically amazon database which looks similar to excel sheet that is used to feed the data.
- Builder – This is simple drag and drop form builder which is used as UI for the app. Currently we can not insert image into it as of now but yes, its still into beta phase. Also main focus of amazon is making the task and job done quickly.
- Automation – is the feature by which once you have database and UI built you then you can automate the app by assigning the task to team members.
Conclusion – Amazon Honeycode is lightweight and no-code app development service which is something amazon has entered into, however in the market Microsoft and Google have already similar offerings. Microsoft power apps and Google’s AppSheet is already there in market for quite a few time. Amazon says that they are excited about this feature as this will help accelerate the task and productivity with rapid speed. Microsoft and Google have Microsoft O365 and G-suite respectively tied productivity SaaS services to back the app development and Amazon has no such productivity offerings.
This marks the end of this blog post. Hope now you have a better understanding of Amazon Honeycode and its features. If you have any question feel free to contact me on twitter @nomaniqamar , or if you have bigger question that can not fit into tweet, send an email to Qamar@infortified.com , and i would be more than happy to reply back. Until next blog, Happy Learning! – Qamar